Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Brent Staples a victim of stereotyping

Is Brent Staples a victim of stereotyping in his essay Black Men and Public Space? I believe yes, he is. Stereotyping is a very real thing in society. Some people do judge others because the color of one's skin. He states in his essay " my first victim was a women." She was a white woman from an affluent neighborhood who thought that she was about to be the victim of a crime by the hands of a black man. My question is, how many people in society have thought the same thing? Have you ever been walking in a parking lot, or driving home on a dark road and cross paths with someone you thought could do harm to you? Being honest, I have many times. Black men for years has been labled as dangerous. Why? I don't know. I think its because for generations they have been made to be different than us. I think stereotyping is an unfair unjustice that at somepoint we are all guilty of. Its how we were raised. Our great grandparents influenced our grandparents, who influenced our parents, so on and so forth. If we continue to keep this going then stereotyping will be a thing of the future as well as a thing from the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment